5G Network Subscription to Reach 1 Billion by 2023 -- Ericsson Report


Ericsson's headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden. / Photo by: Arild Vågen via Wikimedia Commons


The Swedish multinational networking and telecommunications company, Ericsson, predicts the huge effect of 5G in IoT-connected devices. The company predicts about 1 billion 5G subscriptions by 2023.

According to the mobility report of Ericsson, the number of smart devices connected in IoT ecosystems will grow by 500 percent or 3.5 billion in the next five years which will be managed by the upcoming 5G network technology. Meanwhile, 1 billion out of the 3.5 is expected to use the 5G data connectivity. Moreover, 5G network will reach at least 20 percent of the global population over the next six years.

"We have been reporting on mobile industry development for a number of years. However, this report is probably one of the more exciting ones because we are at the start of a big change in the industry," explained Patrik Cerwall, head of Strategic Marketing at Ericsson.

Over the next five to six years, several dense urban areas in the world will be incorporated with the 5G network including China, Japan, South Korea, and the United States. When it comes to data, the next-generation network will grow mobile data traffic by 800 percent during the forecast period. This growth is equivalent to about 5.5 million years of HD video streaming.

The support for a better data network was due to the demand for high-resolution video streaming such as YouTube 360-degree video. The service consumes about four to five times more bandwidth compared to a standard YouTube video streaming in a similar quality.

Another service to be carried by 5G is the voice-over LTE which is enabled by the 4G network. The report mentioned that by the end of 2018, 4G LTE will dominate the mobile access technology and will cover about 85 percent of the world’s population by the end of 2023, leaving the remaining 15 percent under 2G or 3G.

“The latest report highlights trends in mobile subscription and data traffic growth, as well as the industry’s effort to tackle the increasing demands on mobile networks globally,” said Niklas Heuveldop, head of Technology and Emerging Business at Ericsson.